Monday, November 21, 2016

Resistance

Resistance is funny, just when I think I am able to see it and step forward anyways, it finds new ways to sneak up on me. These last few days I have been mentally walking through mud. I came across a little quote that said "what are you doing now that's keeping you from your important work?" I almost had to laugh because this is what my mind looks like right now, "I started a 30 day writing challenge for myself (online and in a journal), and I need to stick with it. What should I write about today? Maybe I should look around for a prompt."
Five YouTube videos later (none of which were relevant) and resistance is still sitting on a blank page waiting for me. Meanwhile, my mind is throwing excuse after excuse at me on why I shouldn't be sitting here, finishing the challenge I started.
Recently, I have learned that my mind has never been my best judge. If the work isn't inspiring, my mind wanders. If I am inspired enough to put my energy into a project, my mind relentlessly throws self-doubt at me. If I want to try something new and exciting, my mind shows me everything that could go wrong.
How will we ever know which areas deserve our time if we never get past the initial resistance we feel towards it?
This post may be short, but it took over an hour for me to sit down and write it. Today that is the best that I can do, and today that is okay. 

"The office is closed.How many pages
have I produced? I don't care. Are they
any good? I don't even think about it.
All that matters is that I've put in my 
time and hit it with all I've got. All that
counts is that, for this day, for this session,
I have overcome Resistance." 
Steven Pressfield The War of Art.

No comments:

Post a Comment